Monday, January 27, 2014

January FotM Recipe: Julia Child's Potage Parmentier (Potato Leek Soup)

I started with this recipe.

It's such a simple and basic recipe.  I made a few minor changes simply based on ingredients that I already had on hand.

Potage Parmentier (Potato Leek Soup) from yumsugar.com



INGREDIENTS
  • 2 tablespoons neutral oil, such as canola or grapeseed oil  (I used avocado oil)
  • 4-5 medium russet potatoes (1 pound), peeled and roughly chopped
  • 3 large leeks (1 pound), cleaned, and thinly sliced
  • 6 cups vegetable stock (or light chicken stock)  (I used turkey stock that I made around Thanksgiving)
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • 1-2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup crème fraiche  (I used 0% fat plain Greek yogurt, because we had it)
  • 1/3 cup minced parsley or chives
DIRECTIONS  

  1. Heat the oil in a large stockpot or dutch oven (six quarts or larger), over medium heat. Add the leek and potato. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have begun to soften and brown slightly, about 8-12 minutes (this time will vary greatly depending on the surface area of the bottom of your pot).
  2. Add the stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
  3. Blend until smooth either using an immersion blender, or by carefully transferring to a blender in batches.
  4. Add the cream, and season to taste with salt (I start with 1 teaspoon and go from there, tasting frequently) and lemon juice
  5. Ladle into bowls and garnish with a dollop of crème fraiche (or yogurt), and a healthy sprinkling of minced herbs.
So, what's the verdict from my three kids and picky husband?  Well I loved it, and my girls loved it.  My husband wrinkled his nose, then ate it and scraped the bowl clean...  and, well, my son refused to taste it (but that's just how five-year-old boys are sometimes).

I say, why not try it out?  Chances are you'll fall in love.

Have you ever made this soup?
What's your favorite soup recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment